AFL Blog

Footy central for all the latest updates from on and off the field.

Lucas calls it quits

Lucas calls it quits
Aug
18
31 0

Written by AFL Online on 18th Aug 2009

Essendon veteran Scott Lucas has today announced his retirement from football, effective immediately. The decision to retire was announced by Lucas and Bomber coach Matthew Knights at a press conference at Windy Hill on Tuesday morning in front of the entire playing list.

Lucas was dropped from the Essendon squad in round 19 after struggling with form and a niggling knee injury. Speaking to the media today the 31-year-old said he knew the time was right to hang up the boots.

“You just know.” Lucas said.

“I firmly believe that, you just know.”

“My time’s up and it’s this group’s time.”

Lucas said there were a number of reason why the time was right to hang up the boots.

“It was a combination of things – form, where the club’s heading and your own body and just mentally,”

Lucas debuts for Essendon in the 1996 ANZAC Day clash against Collingwood. Since then he has played 270 games and kicked 471 goals. In 2003 Lucas shared the Essendon Best and Fairest with club champion James Hird.

In other news: The Swans have called a press conference for 12:45pm where it’s expected that Leo Barry will announce his future plans. Check back later for full story.