It was a week of absolutely carnage on the footy field this week with a large number of players succumbing to injuries. The hard, tough aspects of our game are one of the main reasons we love footy but it is always sickening when you see a player get seriously injured.
These days AFL showcases some of the fittest and strongest athletes in the world but the physically demanding game can still take its toll on even the most highly adapted players.

AFL Rd 3 - Saints v Magpies

The most talked about injury of the round was of a player that we saw kick a bag last week. St Kilda superstar Nick Riewoldt pinged his hamstring during Friday’s night’s game against the Magpies. The 27 year old had a hip problem in the first term, as the Magpies defensive mindset forced a low scoring quarter that set the scene for the game. There were just three goals in the first quarter, two of them going to the Saints, giving them a four point lead at the first change.
The drama continued in the second quarter when Riewoldt rolled his ankle before returning to the field only to badly injure his hamstring in an attempt to leap for the ball. The forward grabbed high on his leg which indicated that it could be serious. It was a bad body blow for the Saints who took a three point lead into the second half and when they lost defender Sam Fisher to concussion after colliding with Collingwood’s Leon Davis it looked as though they would be shot. To St Kilda’s credit they dug deep in the third term booting two goals as the Magpies kicked themselves out of the game with six straight behinds.
With their best player on the sidelines the Saints then slammed on four final quarter goals to sink the Pies, keeping them goalless in the second half. Unfortunately the gutsy 28 pint win came at a price as scans reveal a high grade upper hamstring injury to the captain, but it is yet to be revealed exactly how long he will miss.

The most sickening injury of the round was that of Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield. The youngster was rushed to hospital after he landed on his neck in a gang tackle from three Melbourne players. It was an unfortunate accident as 20 year old’s head was caught underneath his body as he was brought to ground. Scans later…

Read Full Article at