After a sloppy first quarter St Kilda have defeated Adelaide by 48 points at Telstra Dome to ensure they will play in this years finals series.

As the 21 year career of Saint champion Robert Harvey moves towards an end, the veteran was honoured in his last home game with a pre-match celebration which saw a number 35 jumper unfurled from the Telstra Dome roof as well as 210 past teammates forming a guard of honour for Harvey as the side ran out.

The Saints started slowly only kicking one goal in a low scoring first term which saw the Crows capitalize on errors to take a 12 point lead into the first change. It wasn’t until the 11 minute mark that the Saints favorite son got his first possession after coming off the bench and then the crowd errupted minutes later when Harvey hit Riewoldt on the chest who then slotted the Saints only goal of the first quarter.

St Kilda finally clicked into gear in the second quarter kicking the first two goals through Riewoldt and Gardiner before the Crows hit back through Richard Douglas. The crowd went crazy once again when Robert Harvey was awarded a free kick and goaled to put the Saints in front. This sparked St Kilda who slammed on another three goals before the main break to lead by 19 points.

Another low scoring quarter saw each side kicked just two goals, with both Adelaide goals coming from Scott Thompson, while Adam Schneider goaled for the Saints before helping set up Steven Milne’s second goal.

The Crows need to overcome a 21 point deficit in the final term but the Saints slammed on four unanswered goals in the final term to run away with a 48 point win.

The win moves the Saints into seventh place on the ladder with one round to go. Depending on the result the Saints could finish anywhere from fourth to eighth.

ST KILDA 1.4  7.6  9.11  13.17 (95)
ADELAIDE 3.4  4.5  6.9  6.11 (47)

St Kilda:
Riewoldt 3, Milne 2, Schneider 2, Gardiner, Harvey, Goddard, Hayes, Gram, Goddard
Adelaide: Thompson 2, Stevens, Knights, Johncock, Douglas,

St Kilda:
Montagna, S. Fisher, Harvey, Milne, Hayes, Gram, Riewoldt
Adelaide: McLeod, Bock, Symes, Edwards

St Kilda:
McQualter (stomach virus) replaced in selected side by Birss
Adelaide: Nil

Reports: Knights (Adelaide) reported for head high contact on Birss (St Kilda) by umpire McBurney in the fourth quarter

Umpires: McBurney, Stevic, Chamberlain

Official crowd: 33,811 at Telstra Dome